Of course, the day after I post about our beautiful fall in Wisconsin we finally get our first snow of the season. It’s not sticking yet (thank goodness!) but this picture is in front of my house. You can kind of see the snow coming down.
It’s not that I don’t like snow- don’t get me wrong. I like the stuff. I just don’t like seeing the same snow for three months straight. These first few snows aren’t so bad because they melt. But it’s what they mean – that another long, hard, COLD Wisconsin winter is encroaching upon us! We manage alright but really, it’s just not very fun after a while.
That being said, here are a couple of goals I have for this winter:
1. Build a snowman with my kids. Or a snow fort. Or something like that. I usually let the kids play in the snow the first snow or two but after that it gets so crunchy that we just stay out of it. I need to make some memories with them.
2. Get a sled and try sledding down the little hill in the back of our yard. It’s great for the slip ‘n slide in the summers but in the winter we kind of forget that we have such a big yard. The snow truck plows a nice big shelf of snow and we never venture down the hill after that. Must try it this year.
3. Organize my winter gear. Maybe buy one of those plastic over the door shoe holders to put all the hats, gloves, scarves in. It would also be nice to create a place to put wet snow boots while they dry. Some kind of tray to put them on or something.
4. Find a place to go see Christmas lights. Anyone know of any good ones around here?
5. Do more playdates. Good idea for all of those days we’ll be cooped up. Anyone interested? :)
6. Come up with some good lists of things for the kids to do (crafts, activities, service) so we don’t end up watching too many movies all winter.
7. Shovel and salt my driveway more. We have a truck that comes when it snows over 3” which is great, but when it only snows 2” we don’t shovel and then the cars drive on it and it turns into a skating rink quick.
8. Read some more books. I’ve been in a reading slump lately and the winter is a perfect time to snuggle up in a blanket while the baby naps and read a good book.
Well that’s all that I can come up with for now. If you have any goals or advice on how you improve the winter at your house, please share! :)
2 comments:
Totally up for the play-dates, with the cold rainy days we are having I have been wondering what we are going to do all winter too...lights, check out Candy Cane Land in West Allis off Oklahoma and there is an AWESOME house off Lisbon, worth driving just to see the one house alone (not far from us)! Looks like National Lampoon's Christmas house.
I love these ideas. You've just motivated me to try making my own list of goals to brighten the dreary winter months.
I'm having fun doing NaBloPoMo with you this month. Maybe we could read a book together in January? Your choice.
Post a Comment