09 June 2009

Homemade Strawberry Jam


Cost:
2 lb strawberries: $1.98 (Aldi's)
4 lb sugar: $0.88 (Pick n Save)
2 boxes pectin: $3.58
Jars: $0 - For the past month I've been washing out various sauce jars after I used them.
Total Cost: $6.44
Approximately 90 oz jam= $0.07 per oz
Total prep time: 45 minutes

I used the freezer jam recipe in the pectin box. It was very simple.
I think that's pretty good price-wise. Not to mention it's way yummier than storebought. It will last up to a year in the freezer. Merrick requested crepes for dinner tonight so we can put jam on top. Yummy!

7 comments:

keithandnicci said...

Yeah, that is dang impressive! Maybe I'll have to be brave sometime when strawberries are on sale and try this one out!

Tams Family said...

Sounds good to me!

Devan, Erin, Adeline, Milo & Ollie said...

That freezer jam is the BEST! I laughed when I read your Gilmore Girls post- I've been watching them through for my first time on DVD. I'm midway through the 6th season right now. It's safe to say I'm an addict! Probably my new favorite.

Justin and Coralie said...

Yummy (and VERY cost-efficient)! I'm just about to make crepes... I should pull out my freezer jam too. That sounds so good :)

Kevin and Rachel said...

I just did the exact same thing! So yummy! It makes me realize two things: 1. Why we are such good friends, and 2. How bummed I am that we don't live closer to do all of these things together. I hate it!

Britney said...

You never cease to amaze me! I think I even started to drool a little when I read the words "crepes with homemade jam".

DT Stevens said...

That is awesome. I might have to try that sometimes. Thanks for sharing that.