I just finished reading this book by Kate Morton, The House at Riverton. I stumbled upon this book from a Barnes and Noble online recommendation for her recently published second novel, The Forgotten Garden, but I decided to read her first novel first. I really enjoyed this book! It is about an old woman, Grace, in 1999 recounting a story that shaped her life, when she was a housemaid at Riverton in England beginning when she was 14 years old, in 1914. Full of secrets and intrigue, the story paints the contrasting worlds that comes about because of the first world war. Beginning with the tradition and respectibility of an aristocratic family at the beginning of the 20th century and ending with jazz, society, and bohemian ideals of the Roaring 20's. I kept thinking about whether or not I should recommend this book to others. But then I couldn't put it down long enough to decide so, in the end I decided that I really enjoyed this book. The author is very talented and it was a welcome respite from all the YA fiction and all the series books I've read lately. Her new second novel is definitely on my reading list for later this year.
2 comments:
Sounds similar to a great book I read recently- Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Really great read that I also couldn't put down. Thanks for the book recommendations. Keep 'em coming!
Way to go on the reading. Looks like you've been doing a lot of it this year. I'm thinking about giving The Book Thief a try. Would you recommend it?
Post a Comment