21 July 2009

Mortal Instruments Series


I never really considered myself a fantasy reader but that's what I've been reading lately. My latest find: The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. There are three books, the first of which is pictured here, City of Bones. I finished the third book yesterday.

The story involves werewolves, vampires, faeries, warlocks, and the main characters are Shadowhunters, humans with angels blood who mark themselves with ancient runes to give them added strength and stamina in fighting demons that plague the earth, unbenownst to regular "mundane" humans. The main character Clary is thrown into this world when she finds her mother captured by an evil threat.

For some reason I couldn't decide if I liked these books until I finished them all, but now that I have I can say this: The characters Clare creates are very believable, very captivating and endearing, and the storyline is really interesting and the conflict is somewhat unique. The ending was hinted at so often that I thought I would be disappointed when it played out, but I think the anticipation of the characters realizations helped drive me to read the book more quickly. And the ending was well put together so I definitely enjoyed the experience.

Overall, my opinion is that these books are really entertaining YA Urban Fantasy. I think you will enjoy them as much as I did.

4 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'm not sure if anyone, other than one of my nieces, likes them as much as I do. LOL! Maybe, it's because I hype them up so much.

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

I liked that book too. I'm working on City of Glass right now. I think I like it better than City of Ashes...however, we'll have to see when I'm finished.

Britney said...

I'm impressed with all the reading you've done this year, and all the book reviews you're posting. Keep it up!

dani and fam said...

I'm reading those, too! Great review by the way. You write so well. Our library temporarily closed due to remodel, so I've been WAITING to read the third book! I wasn't very "into" them at first, but now I'm dying to finish the series!