A couple weeks ago Avery came in the house bawling. I asked her if she was hurt or scared. She kept blubbering and pointing at her feet. I didn't see any blood so I was kind of confused. I removed her sandals and she had spots all over her feet that were itchy. I remembered a neighbor girl just was getting over Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease so I said maybe that's what it was, which made her cry even more because she had a field trip coming up quick she thought she might miss. Anyways then she started saying something about ants and I put the story together.
On her walk home from the bus stop she had seen what looked like a pile of hay in the grass and thought- why not step on it? :) So she did and then kept walking home. A few seconds later she looked down at her sandaled feet and saw a swarm of ants on her feet. She flicked them all off but then she started itching bad and thus the running home crying. After I bathed her and calmed her down we went to investigate and indeed found a fire ant hill with a size 12 footprint on it. Poor little guys. I told her what happened and she said, "why would Jesus put those things on the earth?" So we had a nice discussion about the opposition of all things and also how our experiences can give us wisdom. Now she knows not to step on fire ant hills and especially to be careful when wearing sandals.
It was a nice teaching moment, and her feet didn't bother her too long.


2 comments:
I loathe fire ants!!! So glad she's ok.
Poor girl! Tough lesson to learn.
Post a Comment