03 January 2012

My Sweet Poppa…

Right after Thanksgiving I kept getting the feeling that I needed to get all my Christmas shopping/preparations done early. I knew my grandfather’s condition was deteriorating due to his lymphoma he had been diagnosed with early in the year. On December 15th I woke up to a text from my dad saying he had passed away during the night.

Lily and I flew out to Salt Lake City on Sunday, December 18th and then we drove up to Bancroft, Idaho with my sister, brother, and sister-in-law. The funeral was on Monday, December 19th.

poppa

My Poppa was just the sweetest man. Always so genuine and loving and he treated my Granny so well. It was so nice to be there with my family for the funeral to hear more about the wonderful life he lived. I was lucky to live nearby him as a child so we got to spend a lot of time with them, while we all lived in Oregon. They retired to Idaho and built the most amazing round house. I got to spend a few minutes there again this trip and take a few pictures. The round house:

P1010208

And my Poppa’s beloved windmill. He spent years collecting parts for this and in October he was able to be there to watch family and friends put it up for him.

P1010206

The valley in Bancroft is so peaceful and has a much slower pace of life.

P1010213

I was so glad to be there for my grandfather’s funeral, to see a lot of family I haven’t seen in a very long time, and to be there for my mom and my Granny.

We love you so much Poppa! I know we will see you again!

P1010215

More on my beliefs here.

No comments: