Well I finished reading The Host, Stephenie Meyer's new book (she's the one who wrote the Twilight series). I'm very interested to get some opinions about it from those of you who have read it already. Here is my initial reaction (don't worry, no spoilers here):I read it really quickly, which is a good sign. I actually hadn't read much about it before I delved in because I wanted to experience it untainted. I did see, however, that Meyer said it was supposed to be science fiction for those who don't like science fiction. And I personally don't crave scifi although I'm not totally gung ho about it either. So I think this book suited me quite well. It was also written for an adult audience as opposed to the Twilight series which is more for young adults, although enjoyed by all.
I think the major strength of the book was that it was thought provoking about human nature more than emotionally captivating like Twilight. I enjoyed the perspective, which was surprising and original, and I think Stephenie Meyer once again proved her creative genius in creating a world so unique and fantastical and yet so human and believable that we could imagine its existence quite literally.
All in all, without going into any details, I liked it a lot. I'm kind of relieved that it was only one book and not a series because I'm not left with a cliffhanger or the disappointment of realizing that I have to wait so many months or years to get the rest of the story. Anyways I highly recommend the book. Stephenie Meyer turns out another bestseller. Can't wait til Breaking Dawn this August, and I can't wait to see how she can entertain me with other stories in the future.
3 comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed the book! She may write a sequel, but she said on some recent signings that she wants to take a break from writing for a contract. She wants to write for herself. Isn't that nice? I hope she's able to get the rest and recuperation she needs!!!
I'm always the last one to jump on the band wagon, but I wanted to let you know (since you're such a big fan) that I bought Twilight last night at the mall. Then I can be as excited about it as you are!
The Host was a good read. Lots to think about...although not as obsessively as Twilight, which is a good thing. I really do prefer a novel that can stand on its own! Frankly, I'm fine with series...but I prefer when each book can stand on its own so you aren't going MAD waiting for the next one to come out (New Moon, for example, was NOT a stand alone!).
Post a Comment