16 February 2014

Merrick's 31st

Merrick turned 31 in November. We threw him a little pirate themed party! He requested a carrot cake and the cream cheese frosting I use has coconut and nuts in it so that makes it hard to decorate in pirate fashion. So we improvised and I think it turned out great!

I also spent a few weeks working on a present for him - my very first quilt! For some reason Merrick has a problem with ripping his work shirts in the elbow of all places! So I had a large stash of ripped shirts I've been holding onto and decided to cut them all up into small squares, add a little grey chevron fabric to give it some pizzazz and attach it to a grey flannel back by tying. It turned out great and he loves it!


 Here's a shot of the whole thing-


I had a fun time making it and it definitely reminded me of my Grandma Haws because she has made so many tie quilts like this before.

Merrick had a nice birthday. We went to Phat Bites for lunch and enjoyed some delicious hummus there and I can't remember what we did for dinner that night but the carrot cake was definitely enjoyed!


1 comment:

Britney said...

You excel at parties! I love the quilt. Today is Jeremy's birthday and I am chuckling reading this for the lack of party planning I have done for his this year. Oh well. :)