06 January 2009

One Year

One year ago today we loaded up our Subaru and left the great state of Utah to move to Wisconsin. I was almost seven months pregnant, Avery was 18 months old and couldn't even say "Dora" yet, Merrick had just graduated from BYU. So much has changed in our lives since that day. Camryn Olivia was born in March and now she's crawling everywhere, saying mama and dada. Avery is over three feet tall, can jump off couches, and sing Twinkle Twinkle all by herself. Merrick has a year of full-time work experience under his belt, has read probably 30 books this year, is still learning how to deal with 11-year old scouts, can't imagine life without a DVR (and neither can Avery). I've survived a year without a car of my own, learned how to make homemade pizza, taught myself how to conduct music in sacrament meeting, started a coupon collection. We've driven to Iowa twice. We've experienced festivals and eaten brats, become addicted to frozen custard, and started picking up midwest accents (We're from WisCANsin, doncha kno?). We've been in two houses in two different wards and have met lots of good people. We've experienced colder weather than we knew was possible and seen more snow fall in one night than we ever have before. We celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas without any family and started our own traditions.

It's been a challenging year with lots of firsts, but we've grown really close together as a family and have learned a lot of good things. 2009 has a lot of good things to look forward to also. We hope your year is full of joy and new beginnings.

9 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

Sounds like it's been a fun year. I love starting new family traditions...it makes me feel even more like my own little family, which is great. And your girls look adorable in their dresses!

Eddie and Amber said...

And I still miss you the same, as when you moved. I still remember when you were prego with Avery and you were my visiting teacher. My oh my does time fly. The girls are getting so big!!

Jenni Elyse said...

Has it really been that long? Wow! How time flies! The girls look beautiful in their dresses.

Justin and Coralie said...

I love the year-end review. A lot sure does happen in a year. Your girls are so cute!

Britney said...

What a great post. This is why I love blogging (thanks for getting me started, sis)- it's such a great way to record your family's history.

PS- Haha, my word verification to comment is "nesse". :)

Christina said...

Wow, that is a lot. Mine won't be too much different when our one year is up. Including a new baby! But, we are trying hard to not pick up the accent. I'm glad you guys are liking it, and your girls are really adorable in their dresses, I love them.

Ruth said...

We are glad you came to Wisconsin!! Its been so fun. I love their dresses!

Keith and Nicci said...

You guys are awesome. Miss walking and hanging out, but am so glad that your new life, though somewhat crazy and hard, has gone so well:)

Tams Family said...

Such a cute family! Glad things have gone well during your year in the midwest. It's amazing how fast time goes these days!