
Last night we put our our very first Christmas tree. (We actually borrowed a little 3 foot tree from Merrick's mom last year but this one is much more authentic - although it
is artificial.) I was worried we would have to go out and buy a bunch of things to put on it but we actually had a lot more ornaments than I remembered. When I was around 10 or 12 years old my family started a tradition of getting an ornament on Christmas Eve night (in addition to our PJ's). Sometimes they applied to us personally like I have a "I Graduated in 2001" ornament for that year and an elephant ornament when I had an elephant collection. Sometimes they were just pretty or fun ones. So when we went on our own, we had a little collection of ornaments started for our trees. Since we've been married, we've continued this tradition and we get each other ornaments every year for Christmas Eve too. Merrick decided that his twist on it is that he's going to get me a round ball ornament every year. So it was fun to open all the ornaments last night and think of all the memories they bring. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we were able to fill up our little 7 foot tree quite nicely with my collection. Thanks Mom and Dad for this tradition- it's one we intend to continue!
What are your special Christmas Eve traditions?
2 comments:
We still all sit around my Mom on Christmas Eve and listen to her read "'Twas The Night Before Christmas" before we all head off to bed. We also still hang our stockings together at my parents' house - those have stayed there, while Alan and I have others from his family here at our house - although, in the last 2 or 3 years, the stockings have become my responsibility (I mean, "Santa's") - Dad and I got get all the stuffers for them together on Christmas Eve. It's pretty fun. I look forward to that every year!
I hope you have a great Christmas!!
We have dinner at my step mom's side of the family and then we go home and open pj's and read the book Twas the Night Before Christmas.
Post a Comment