Every year at my girls' school they have a big school auction and each class is responsible for contributing a themed basket and a class project. I was in charge of Avery's class last year and we did a Movie night themed basket and a ceramic popcorn bowl with each of the kids fingerprints shaped like popcorn kernels.
This year I am doing Avery's basket again and we are doing a book theme and I also made a piece of wall art for the class project.
I created this burlap wall hanging. I was required to have the kids from Avery's third grade class be involved in creating so I cut out small pieces of fabric and ironed on some fusible adhesive on the backs. Then they traced the leaf shapes and cut them out. Then I sketched a tree form on some muslin and ironed it on the burlap. I sewed around all the edges and then ironed and sewed on all the leaves. To add dimension, I put a few green felt leaves on that were just backstitched with embroidery floss. I also put two small owls with button eyes on the lowest branch. The quote I traced on is "Friendship is a Sheltering Tree". I thought it turned out pretty good. It is 28" x 20" and I stapled the whole burlap piece to a wood frame like you would do with an artists canvas.
I hope it will earn some money for the school in a few weeks! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment