18 June 2008

InMomnia

I heard on the radio a while ago that the average amount of sleep a new mom who is breastfeeding loses in the first year of their child's life is 700 hours. That's enough to make you a little zombie-like, you'd think. But I think even more so is that the quality of sleep diminishes. When Avery was 8 or 9 months old I would be wide awake in the middle of the night and not be able to go back to sleep, a kind of in"mom"nia I'll call it. It's where you lay in bed grateful that your child isn't awake and crying out for you but waiting for the inevitable "Mommy!". Or where you jump up to check on your newborn when she squeaks in her sleep. Or where you have to keep checking on your really newborn to see if she's still breathing. Or where you're so dead exhausted from taking care of kids but you can't make yourself fall asleep for a nap even though their both sleeping because you know the second you fall asleep one of them will wake up. (Can you tell that's what I'm doing right now?)

Things with Avery did not go so well when it came to sleep and I know now that I should have made her cry it out sooner. It wasn't until she was 10-11 months before she slept through the night, and then not for several more months until it was really consistent. I don't think I realized how much of a zombie I was for Avery's first year of life until I started sleeping all night again.

(This is one of my favorite pictures- both girls asleep!)


Anyways, I kind of wanted to get some advice about babies and sleep. For those of you who have kids, what did you do right or what will you do better next time? And even if you don't have kids, maybe you have some advice for me too. Camryn is 3 months tomorrow and nearing the time when she and I are both going to need to get her into a good sleep rhythm. She's really not bad at all I think but the sleepy baby bliss of her first two months of life have worn off. I see myself getting into the same routines that I did with Avery and I'm just plain not sure how to get a little baby to sleep longer than 30 minute naps or to only wake up to eat 1-2 times a night instead of 2-4. So share what you've learned, please!

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

This is funny to me because no one has commented yet--I guess you're not alone in wanting these answers! I'll be watching this post for the answers too!

Kevin and Rachel said...

I, too, will be checking the comments on this one. I decided to let Bennett cry it out at 5 months and it worked like a charm. He went from up every 2-3 hours to sleeping all night long for then on. I've learned recently that some would think that the whole CIO thing is just horrible, but it worked like a charm for me and I'll do it again. This time I won't be so apprehensive about it. Also, I was a big "sleep association" person- the same CD playing, stuffed animal cuddling, and bedtime routine EVERY TIME. That has helped enormously.

Keith and Nicci said...

When Austin was 3 1/2 months we moved to AZ for the summer and he went from waking up every 2-4 hours at hinght to every 1-2 again. And since we were living with family at the time, we didn;t want to wakt them up so I would just hurry and nurse him back to sleep. Finally, after being a TOTAL zombie and feeling so depressed, we decided he wasn't self-soothing and he needed to learn that, so we start letting him just cry himslef to fall asleep, which taught him how to put himself back to sleep better, and then if it had been less than 4-5 house during the night since he had nursed, we let him cry too since we knew he didn;t need to eat and was just nursing for comfort. It was hard for about 2 days, and then he started sleeping in longer chunks at least at night (the naps were still 30 minutes until he got a little bit older) and I was a completely different person!

Just my two cents. Good luck - this is so hard!