24 March 2009

I'm a Big Girl Now!

Avery's potty training officially began on Friday. We've been preparing her for this day for months by getting her accostumed to the idea of sitting on her potty seat, wearing underwear, etc. But Friday was the big day. She has done really well!!! Ok, she has had her share of accidents, but I really didn't think she would catch on so quickly! Within three hours of her wearing underwear, putting up our first ever sticker chart, and me making her "try" every 15-20 minutes she did it! And we've been making progress ever since. The sticker chart was basically a curvy path with squares in which I put a sticker each time she tried. The goal was a new tub of green (her favorite color) Play Doh, which she had earned by Monday and now we're onto a new chart with a new prize. Yesterday we stayed home the whole day and she went 7 times in a row with no accidents. I guess all she needed was a little consistency and clearcut motivation. We've still got a ways to go - night time, leaving the house, and just more practice in general - but I'm really proud of my "big girl".


Side note: Haha she just tried to put a pair of her new panties on Camy... Hmm... Not quite ready for that one yet! (Camryn is undergoing her own big girlization right now - weaning from nursing to whole milk!)

What kind of advice can you give to a mom just starting to potty train?

5 comments:

dani and fam said...

such an exciting thing!! congrats, mom! i cant believe how much she looks like you!!

Britney said...

No advice for you, Vaness. It appears you're a pro when it comes to potty training.

Congratulations, Avery!

PS- I agree with "dani and fam". She's looking more and more like you all the time.

vanessa said...

Well I guess I posted too soon because today did NOT go so well! The low point was me stepping into a puddle of you know what. Yuck!

Christina said...

Good luck, and just keep at it, she will get it! We are having our fair share of problems with potty training Ava too.

Tams Family said...

All I can say is good luck. Potty training is definitely not my favorite thing to do. Keep at it!